Sunday 30 December 2012

Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson at Dragonmeet



Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson talk at Dragonmeet (London 2012) about the very humble origins of Games Workshop as importers of Dungeons and Dragons, the start of Fighting Fantasy (and Sorcery!) right through to the recent Blood of the Zombies, books and apps.

I was excited to hear the mention of the Puffin School Book Club from which I got my copy of Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Usually I’m fairly down on Games Workshop’s rejection of imported RPGs and yet they appear to have been under a lot of pressure by TSR to innovate and create products to which they owned the intellectual property because TSR controlled their lifeline to the supply of D&D products. This leads to the invention of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (1st ed). Unfortunately GW eventually walk away from RPGs altogether.

There’s also some talk on FF documentary related Kickstarters towards the end - which I’m more than a little dubious about. Just write it and publish to Lulu … enough, already..

(This edit doesn’t cut to Russ Nicholson's art when talking about Warlock of Firetop Mountain, and the volume is very low, but I’ll forgive GMS, because there’s some real gold in this talk ;) )

Source: GMS Magazine
 http://youtu.be/FYqooWqbD8Q
 http://www.gmsmagazine.com/
-Thanks to Scott Craig on Facebook for drawing my attention to this!-

2 comments:

  1. Helpful and informative blog. I've found exactly the info what i am looking for! Wonderful games review!

    ReplyDelete